Friday, March 22, 2013

Denim quilt

Last summer when my brother in law came to visit, he begged me to make him a denim quilt.  In his prior divorce, his X took the denim quilt I had previously made for his family and he needed another one.  I was fine with that and put it together in 4 days.  Cut, sewn, tied and bound, it was quite and accomplishment!  After that I knew that our family needed another one also.  The one we have stays in the back of my car and it gets used at parks and games all the time.  When soccer season rolled around in September, I finally decided to start this blanket.  By the end of soccer season it was half way done and it got put away until now.... soccer season starts again next week.

The reason we need two is that sometimes I drive to the games and sometimes John drives and we randomly take different vehicles.  We forget to change the quilt from this car to that and so the easiest thing to do is to have two denim quilts, one for each car.  Yesterday I got this quilt out and today I finished sewing all the squares together.

The quilt is made of 6" squares, when sewn they are 5 1/2" square.  I made this quilt quite large, 15 blocks wide by 16 blocks long.  I wanted it to be big enough for the entire family if being used at the park for a picnic.  


Next week I will be tying the quilt together, the only step before that is stitching the two back panels together, a piece of cake!  I'll try to show this next week finished!

No comments: