Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Journey

I love to sew!  I made my first quilt when I was in young women's and about 16 years old.
It's nothing noteable, it's tied and actually made from all my t-shirts from my childhood memories.  My grandmother belonged to a group that would get together every Tuesday morning and quilt beautiful patterns onto solid fabric, sometimes my mother would join them and I learned to hand quilt early in life.  After seeing a few others quilting stitches, I can brag that I have a very good quilting stitch.
When each of my children were born I made a few more quilts and as they grew the quilts got bigger and I branched out of my comfort jone a little more.  Until a 1 1/2 years ago, when I really embraced the whole pieced quilt & machine quilting technique.  Let's just say I love it!!!
With quilting there have been sacrifices!  I wasn't blessed with 26 hour days to add another hobby into my already full schedule.  My blog name is simplescrapperquilts, well it was originally just Simplescrapper, because I was a scrapbooker.  Scrap booking kind of fell off my schedule so that quilting could fit in.  The design team I was on for 6 years ended and I started a new crafty life, and YES I do miss it at times.  Especially the social network of scrapbookers all across the country that I worked with for over 10 years.  Would I turn back, NO.  

In February I started a buggy barn quilt that I really love.  Whether it's the pattern, the Moda floral gathering fabric or the combination that I love most, I don't know.

In the middle of each star there is no quilting,  if you look close you can see a safety pin.   It won't stay that way!   I am looking for the perfect buttons to accent my stars right now.  

I quilted this with a "wonky" zigzag pattern.  I feel it was the perfect quilting pattern for this quilt.

 

I am sharing the post on Fresh Sewing Day and Freshly Pieced

4 comments:

Kate said...

Beautiful Buggy Barn finish! I love their designs! And I'm with you - I have a whole corner of the office devoted to boxes of pictures and scrapbook supplies. Not enough hours in the days to have both hobbies!

Made by Mrs Jones x said...

Wow, I really like that star quilt and buttons would be great accents for it.

Karin said...

Love the colours...great quilt

Anonymous said...

Very pretty!