Friday, February 7, 2014

Buggy barn stars on the board

I have never made a buggy barn quilt before.  I'm not sure what has always attracted me to them, whether it is that they have such clean cut lines or such fun designs.  All I do know is that I have been wanting to make one for sometime and I finally bit the dust and began.  My first buggy barn quilt will be from the star crossing book.  I began with it because it seemed to be easier for a beginner.


My fabric choice is from the floral gathering Moda line.


There will be 12 stars blocks with double sashing, the gold around the star blocks and then bright colors between the blocks.  


The original star blocks are 12 1/2" and with the 2 1/2" sashing, the blocks are cut to be 16 1/4".  They should be 16 1/2" but due to me being an 1/8" off here or there they will be a 1/4" smaller.  No big deal!


This fabric line draws me in.  It's not a favorite, but I do love this line.  Moda really knows how to create beautiful color combinations.

These fabrics will be the outside border, binding and backing.  The green fabric will be the backing.  I'm not quite sure whether the red or tan should be the binding or sashing.  Any input?  My guess is red for border, because it borders the gold  and will have more contrast.


I've been looking at another buggy barn quilt, with the flowers.  Has anyone tried these, I really think my daughter would like one of these quilts.

I'm linking to Sew Much Ado 


No comments: